>He had to do it. He just had to. There was no way to avoid it. He (my air conditioning technician) had to tell me (his customer) that my a/c unit was history. The compressor was locked and after 14 years needed to be replaced. While the news was not pleasant nor what I wanted to hear, Scott did a great job in delivering the message.
1. He said in a sincere manner, “I’m sorry, I have bad news for you.”
2. He gave a brief explanation of the problem and then stopped talking.
3. He let me rant and rave, vent my feelings and talk my way through the news.
4. He asked if I was ready to listen to options and if not, he could call me back tomorrow.
5. He matter-of-factly explained my options and gave his advice.
6. He apologized again and reassured me of a wonderful future with an energy efficient a/c and cool home.